Monday, May 26, 2008

Buckle Up!

Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated with your seat belts securely fastened at all times. Keep your hands and feet inside the roller coaster for the duration of the ride...

Right now I am enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon in my Spangle home. I have spent the day going to church, watering my garden, reading a good book, and hanging out with my boys. But in less than two weeks, David and I will travel to Monument, Colorado, where we will attend a Candidate Orientation at the Greater Europe Mission Headquarters--the final step in our appointment process to become missionaries in France. I feel like right now, while the roller coaster hasn't left the platform, we could still change our minds, jump off of the ride, heave a sigh of relief and wipe the sweat off our foreheads. That is, we could jump off if we weren't completely convinced that God has called us to this ride. But we are convinced. And so instead of jumping off, we have decided it's time to fasten our seat belts!

I actually love roller coasters. But I love them because while the twists and turns are wildly exciting, I am sure, every time I get on one, that I will arrive at the end of the ride safe and in one piece. I put my faith in the knowledge that the theme park owners take great pains to make sure that their rides do not result in injury or death. So I wonder, on this adventure to become a missionary in France, where have I put my faith? What do I know about God that compels me to get on the ride? Not only am I getting on this ride with my husband, but we are taking our amazing pre-teen sons with us. How does one leave the safety of the platform when so very much is at stake?

The one who calls you is faithful and He will do it.
I Thessalonians 5:24

He will do it! Not me! Not my strength! Not my power! Not my goodness (or lack there of!). I can do this thing because I am not doing it--this is the delightful paradox that is wrapped up in all of God's giftings and callings. How thankful I am to simply be invited to the ride by the Faithful One himself. Buckle me in...He will do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS