Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Potato-Leek Soup

I have inherited my father's fetish for photographing food. After posting this picture on Facebook, some friends asked me for the recipe. Voilà. 

I am not really much of a recipe writer, but since I combine bits and pieces from a number of different recipes to make this soup, I guess that the recipe that follows is actually one of my own creation.


Ingredients:
1 kg (2 lbs) potatoes, peeled and diced
4-5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 leeks, sliced
250 g (1/2 lb) lardon (bacon works)
1 L milk (about 4 cups)
1 t salt
1/2 t dried dill weed
fresh ground pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese to garnish

Directions:
  1. Cook potatoes and carrots in boiling water. Drain.
  2. Cook lardons (if using bacon, cook and crumble bacon slices), remove from pan, reserving grease.
  3. Sauté leeks, onions, and celery in lardon/bacon grease.
  4. In a large pot combine all ingredients (except cheese)
  5. Heat until steaming.
  6. Serve hot, garnish with cheddar cheese.
One of the major day to day differences between our life in the States and our life in France is that the kids come home from school at noon and we sit down to lunch together as a family. This means that I cook 2 meals a day instead of just one, so I have been incorporating more recipes into our repertoire. This has become a family favorite.

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy-nummy! We shall have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wanna try it at home sis..
    yummy...
    very nice blog and thank for info

    go green and Please Visit Us At :

    Agen Bola

    thanks very much

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS