Saturday, April 30, 2011

Encouragement

Typically, when I encounter other runners in the park, we either avoid eye-contact or we glance quickly at each other and mumble a perfunctory, "Bonjour." Actually, I have never heard anything other than a basic "Hello" shared between passing runners whether in the U.S or in France.

Until today.

This morning, when I was halfway through my final mile, I saw a runner with the body of a Kenyan marathoner approaching at clip. He had a bandanna wrapped around his brow to gird up a fantastic bushel of dreadlocks, which were thus sprouting out of the top of his head. He sort of resembled one of the green-onions from Veggie-Tales. Except he wasn't green.

When we were about three meters apart, he shouted to me, "Bravo! C'est super! Bon courage!"

In stunned surprise, I said, "Merci," but he had already flown past me. In all my life I have never had anyone make me feel so happy to be running. I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of my route. I think I may have even picked up my pace.

Encouragement. It just feels good, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Yes, it does.

    I pray your day is filled to the brim and running over with encouragement, my friend.

    "...halfway through the final mile..." That, alone, rings with the sound of victory!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS