Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mad Mom Blogging (read at your own risk)

I am spitting nails. SPITTING. NAILS.

I learned during lunch today that Chandler's English teacher (in the French school) thought that it would be a good idea for her 13 and 14 year old students to watch and write a report on an episode of...are you ready for this?...DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

How am I disgusted? Let me count the ways:
  1. I am disgusted that this horrific show, which shamelessly mocks righteous living, is a major hit in both France and the United States.
  2. I am disgusted that many Christians have contributed to this show's popularity and success.
  3. I am disgusted that this show's portrayal of suburban America is being exported to the world.
  4. I am disgusted that 13 and 14 year old CHILDREN in France are being exposed to the attitudes, morals, and values of Desperate Housewives.
  5. I am disgusted that sinful behavior is found (at best) amusing and (at worst) amiable, and that such behavior is glorified through a television series.
In some ways, I am sad to be singling out Desperate Housewives for this rant. The airwaves on both sides of the pond are full of broadcasting that is in direct opposition to the kingdom of God. Are you letting these programs into your home? Are you accepting them? Supporting them? Applauding them?

David has always set himself as a sentinel in our home, vigilantly opposing most television shows and many movies. He takes a stand when indignant teenage sons state, "But all my friends have seen that movie!" He takes a stand when weak-willed wife whines, "I just want to know what everyone is talking about." He says, "NO! That garbage will not be allowed in our home," and he does not bend. And I love him for it.

Lest you are thinking... (whoa, if you doubted that I was going to preach, there's no denying it now; I just used the word "Lest!")...Lest you are thinking, "Yes, that is inappropriate for children, but I am an adult, and therefore I can handle watching such things" let me remind you that Jesus made no distinction between what is right for children and what is right for adults. We are told to keep ourselves from moral filth (James 1:21) and to fix our thought on Jesus (Hebrews 3:1). Tell me honestly, is it possible for anyone to do these two things while watching an episode of Desperate Housewives?

I know that we live in a fallen world. I even know that I contribute to its fallen-ness. But there is a difference between acknowledging the existence of sin and throwing a party for it. I even know that my boys have to live in this fallen world, but there is a difference between preparing them to face immorality and confusing their understanding of what is immoral in the first place.

Actually, in all of this Chandler has been above reproach. He said, "I knew that you would not want me watching that, but I did not know what to do about it." I asked, in what I hoped was a non-threating way, "Chandler, did you want to watch it?" He thought a minute, shook his head, and said, "No. Not really." I am not worried about Chandler being corrupted. Chandler has Jesus. But what about all of those other teenagers? What about the ones who are searching for meaning and significance? What about the ones who are trying to figure out life, and looking for answers in Hollywood? What about the ones who simply do not know that God has so much more for them?

In the words of the French, "Aie, aie aie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS