Friday, May 10, 2013

The Dreaded Photo

When is the last time that you stepped out of your comfort zone?

For me, it was yesterday. I had to have a professional photo taken.

I really do not like getting my picture taken, though I find it tolerable when it includes others, like family and friends. But this was a photo of me. Just me. And a close-up at that! Ugh.

The photographer was a professional, but also a friend, and he was patient, calm, and instructive. He didn't make me smile the whole time and he talked to me a lot, which I found kind of soothing. David was there, too, for moral support. Chandler helped with lighting.

Still, being under the scrutiny of a lens, a lens that refuses to lie or even soften the truth, is painfully uncomfortable for me. I feel inescapably aware of all my physical shortcomings: my odd shaped nose, my nonexistent chin, my squinty eyes, and I am reminded of the simple reality that no matter what I do, beauty is an unattainable goal for me.

And then the Lord whispers in my ear, in my heart, "You are beautiful to me, my darling." I suppress a surging cry of protest, and decide to believe him. And it is enough.

Five Minute Friday

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jenn
    You know what they say, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder! Our outward beauty or the absence thereof according to the world's standards can never ever compete with the beauty of a gentle, quiet spirit. That is a gift from our Pappa God.
    Blessings from FMF
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I really, really struggled with this today. And yes, you are beautiful, inside and out!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin! It was felt kind of raw, so I'm glad it spoke to you. And by the way, YOU are beautiful!

      Delete
  3. lol! Jenn, you have always had an amazing sense of your own style, and are one of the most put-together (inside and out), photogenic people I know. I truly love to look at you! :D Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of the saying that there are three of each of us: how we see ourselves, how others see us, and how we truly are....

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS