Friday, April 12, 2013

Here am I

Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!”



I didn't actually want to be a missionary. It's not that I was opposed to the idea, it just wasn't on the top of my list. I wanted to be president. 

Then one day I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" and without giving it a second thought, I raised my hand, and said, "Oh! Pick me! Pick me!" The voice of the Lord is awfully compelling. 

So here I am, in France. 

But the question keeps coming; day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute:

"That woman needs encouragement, whom shall I send?"

"That child needs care, whom shall I send?"

"The church needs cleaning, whom shall I send?"

"That family needs a place to stay, whom shall I send?"

"That student needs a ride, whom shall I send?"

"That project needs funding, whom shall I send?"

Everyday I have unlimited opportunities to say, "Here am I, send me!" Sometimes, though I hate to admit it, my response is not so eager. Sometimes it is even reluctant. Sometimes it comes out whiny. Sometimes I think, "For heaven's sake, couldn't you send somebody else?!?" 

Then I remember that Jesus, the sent one, has sent me. And he keeps sending me. It's why I am here.

Five Minute Friday

8 comments:

  1. That top paragraph had me chuckling SO much. So with you on that one.

    I'm really excited to learn you're a missionary in France, though. I have a real heart for Western Europe (I'm a Brit - and I love Spain, France, Italy, Portugal). There are so many challenges to mission work in these countries - so much spiritual deadness.

    Basically, I'm saying - keep doing what you're doing - keep living, keep being. It's valuable. I pray for France, and people like you and some of the answers to my prayers. So - thank you.

    (This is hideously inarticulate, but hope it makes general sense...) coming to you via FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm ... to say, 'pick me! pick me!' What an offering, what a gift you have given Him and others.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. How the Lord searches for willing souls like yourself. Those who say, "Here am I, take me!" with voices and hearts equally engaged. And He takes, and He makes us what He desires us to be and to do for His glory. You're doing a great work. Keep on being willing, ready and available for all He may yet have in store! Blessings. Over here from Five Minute Friday. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! Pick me Pick me until we get to the details...I so get that.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Brilliant reminder of what - and Who - it's all about. :)
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you for listening to His call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a post. Wow. My thoughts are all over the place. I was thinking about today when I grabbed several shopping carts that were stray (right next to the bin for the carts) and pushed them into the bin. Someone nearby was watching from their car. I pushed the stragglers in...lined them all up. It's something I do because it needs to be done. It's an odd thought to think that if everyone did a little bit - that would be huge.

    Your post just walks in behind my thoughts first and then speaks about what ElSe I should be doing.
    Thanks for your post!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your insights and encouragement. What I did NOT have time to say in the post is that his love compels me and his Spirit empowers me and any good I ever do is only by his grace.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS