Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Making the Bed

I grew up in a home where making the bed was a basic requirement. It was simply expected that every bed would be made every day. On days when I did not get the bed made, I would come home from school to notes on my bed. Notes that were from my bed, telling me how sad she was when she was not made. Yes, my mom is very creative.

Now that I am the mom, however, I am sorry to say that my daily to commitment to bed-making has gone along the wayside. I rarely make the bed, and my bed is no longer writing me notes about it. I think she has given up.

But I sense the tide is turning. Lately I have felt overwhelmed by life, and I wake up each day trying to figure out how I can possibly accomplish everything that is on the "list" for the day. I put "list" in quotes because I don't actually write out a to do list, I just carry one around in my head. Anyways, the mental list is running off of the page, out of control, and kicking my butt. So yesterday, before I even got out of bed, I began pray, begging for direction for the day, which appeared to be about 14 hours too short for the list. I felt a quiet answer, whispered to my anxious heart: "Make the bed!"

Whether that was the voice of God or the voice of my mother whose wisdom (gratefully) still echoes in my mind, I may never know. What I do know is that I obeyed. Not right away, mind you, but sometime after my shower and before lunch, I actually made the bed.

I also got a majority of the items checked off of my list. Conincidence? I think not. True success, for me, always begins with obedience in the small stuff.

When life feels like it is spinning out of control, wisdom often takes me back to basics: A made bed, time in God's Word, a shiny kitchen sink, a slow family dinner.

Today I made the bed fist thing, and I am reminded that God will make it possible for me to do everything that HE has placed on my list today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS