Thursday, July 7, 2011

Road Trip

Graham was invited to spend a few days with a friend who lives near Kandern, Germany, which is just south of Strasboug, France. At the same time, I had the opportunity to spend a few days with some friends and colleagues who are getting ready to leave for a one year furlough in the States. My friends live in the Alsace region of France, just across the border from Switzerland. In the morning I helped my friends pack a few boxes, and in the afternoon they took me sightseeing around the area.


The first afternoon we ventured into the village of Riquewihr, France. Due to politics and wars, this region of France has, during many eras, actually belonged to Germany. Thus much of the architecture and language has a Germanic flavor.


After exploring Riquewihr we drove to an area that is known for it's stork population. If you look carefully at the following photo, you can see storks in the trees; I guess I didn't realize that storks nested in trees!


Some storks apparently prefer the suburbs:


Can you imagine having a nest like that on your roof? They are pretty birds, but I didn't any who were on baby-delivery duty! Perhaps it was a slow day.


Today we drove into Basel, Switzerland. I had never been to Switzerland before, and while I loved every bit of the foreign experience, we couldn't resist having a little taste of home:


But just in case you are wondering, I still have not had a sip of Starbucks Coffee in a year. My cup was filled to the brim with a Chai Tea Latte.

The Rathaus in Basel is a piece of art. I do LOVE a red building.


Tomorrow, Graham and I will head back to the Paris area. Funny, I've been in three different countries in three days. The joy of living in Europe!

3 comments:

  1. I love that about Europe. It's so easy to see SO MUCH culture! I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh - SO jealous!! The houses are adorable, and the time sounds super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that about Europe. It's so easy to see SO MUCH culture! I'm really looking forward to it.

    france road trip

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS