Friday, August 26, 2011

A Verbal Fast

Alternatively Titled: Why I Will not be Blogging in September

I just finished reading Humility by Andrew Murray.

There is much in the book that resonated with me, particularly in regards to my journey towards "nothingness." During the past year I have been stripped of myself. I am certain that this was God's intent, as He is teaching me what it really means to be humble. I resisted His efforts at times, but of late I have been more willing to surrender to His work in my life. Surrender gets easier as I accept the reality of my own ineptness.

Anyways, at the end of his book, Murray presents this challenge:

"I will here give you an infallible touchstone, that will try all to the truth. It is this: retire from the world and all conversation, only for one month; neither write, nor read, nor debate anything with yourself; stop all the former workings of your heart and mind: and, with all the strength of your heart, stand all this month, as continually as you can, in ...prayer to God...."

Because I so want the Lord to take EVERY degree of pride from me, with the full support of my husband and children, I am going to do this very thing for the month of September.


"...retire from the world and all conversation...."  means that I will abstain from using Facebook and Skype and I will only check e-mail once a week.


"...neither write...," means that I will abstain from blogging.


"...nor read..." means that I will abstain from reading anything but the Bible.


For a girl who loves all things having to do with words, a verbal fast will be quite a challenge. But because I am so obsessed with reading and writing, in abstaining from these things God will have a lot more of my attention. My fast from the aforementioned media will take place during the entire month of September. It is my heart's desire and my intent (unless the Lord leads otherwise) to resume all of these activities on October 1, 2011.

While I am away from Facebook, Blogger, and all things Literature, our family will have a lot going on! We will be moving to a different village, my sons will be starting a new school, and I will be seeking resolution for a minor health issue. We will be in need of your prayers! (David will be sending out regular prayer requests, so if you would like to be kept up to date during my blogging hiatus, please send us an e-mail at fourforfrance@gmail.com and David will add you to his prayer team mailing list.)

And if you need something to read in September, why not read Humility by Andrew Murray? It's available for 99 cents for the Kindle on Amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted you to know I'll be praying for you during your month. It's going to be amazing... hard and challenging, but amazing none the less.

    He is so Faithful!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS