Saturday, August 10, 2013

Germany

We just  got home from a week in Germany. The first 5 days were spent in a town called Willingen, where we attended the GEM Annual Conference. It was a time of great spiritual encouragement and refreshment. One of our speakers was Crawford Loritts, and his insights were like water to my soul. I am SO thankful.

Then, on Thursday we drove to the town of Leer to visit some dear friends named Klaus and Sabine. Sabine was an exchange student with my family when I was three years old. We have kept in touch over the years, but this was the first time I went to her home. We had such a lovely time!

We arrived in time for a wonderful homemade German lunch of pork and mushrooms. Then we toured the nearby town of Bergsteinfurt. 

On Saturday we rode bicycles 50 kilometers (that's 32 miles folks!) from their home in Leer to Munster. It was the most fun I EVER had on a bicycle! The terrain was flat (hallelujah) and the landscape was beautiful. Gratefully, we loaded ourselves and our bicycles onto the train for the return trip.


Below is the church where Anabaptists (the predecessors of Mennonite and Amish) were suspended in cages after being killed by the local bishop. If you look carefully below the steeple you can see the cages. The sad history of Christian religious wars cans still be seen all over Europe. 

"And they'll know we are Christians by our love..." This is my prayer for Europe in this new millennium.


Sabine is like a big sister to me, and I am SO thankful for our time together!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS