Monday, November 12, 2012

Grace

I just finished reading What's so Amazing about Grace, by Philip Yancey, and it was exactly what I needed!

Grace.

Being across the ocean, most of the political commentary that I read over the past few months was on Facebook. I don't mean to sound critical, but wow. Some of my Facebook friends--people I know to be genuine, loving, positive people--got downright snarky over the elections.

Don't get me wrong; I am not at all against passion. I honor patriotism. I even like a good argument. But must we reduce ourselves to the level of poo-slinging apes?

And at the end of the day, those of us who call ourselves "Christians" MUST care about the means as much as the end. That is to say, HOW I speak about a subject is as important as WHAT I have to say. Kindness counts. Respect matters. Truth spoken in harsh words, devoid of love, is, well, a "clanging gong," to borrow Paul's words.

Grace.

Now that the elections are over, why not close our mouths and roll up our sleeves? Pro-life voters, do everything you can to be a pro-life person over the next four years! Volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center. Take in a single mom. Live your conviction!

Grace.

If you are concerned about the economy, first of all manage your own money well. Work hard. Be generous to those in need. Model the way for a lost world!

Grace.

Finally, pray for our president. And remember what your mother taught you: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Keep the debate on the issues. Write to senators. Go ahead and get involved in the process. But snarkiness and disrespect are not appropriate responses. No one likes a sore loser.

Grace.

It was poured out on me by Jesus. I do not deserve it. In fact, based on my wretchedness, Jesus should turn His back on me and walk away. I am repulsive. I am more offensive to the perfection of Jesus than the vilest politician could ever be to me. YET, Jesus has grace. He loves the unlovely. Its scandalous, really. But in pouring out grace on me, He calls me, empowers me, inspires me to have grace for others. Grace for political rivals. Grace for snarky friends. Grace for enemies.

Grace.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, my friend. The election didn't turn out the way I'd hoped but I don't think the answer to our country's problems is in the politicians. We are the answer. The change begins with our actions. As a Christian, I find things I can do. When I'm at the doctor's office and hear a patient can't pay their bill, I have gone and paid something on it for them after they have left and make it anonymous. I can be hope in that instance. It's only giving back a small bit of the grace I've received and is the least I can do.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS