Saturday, March 14, 2015

Where were we?

Well, now, where were we?

It's been over a month since my last post, and I hadn't intended to take a break at all! But somehow I lost touch these past few weeks, flitting across the globe. I hardly know where to begin to catch you up.

The truth is, I've had one of those months where mission and ministry took over, and in the midst of all that super spiritual work I lost my spiritual center. No, I'm not talking about a crisis of belief; but rather, a crisis of connection. How easy it is to get get swept up in the activity and lose the very reason for it all.

I was not any busier on the road than I am here at home, but I was out of my context and consequently I lost touch with my rhythms: Rhythms of prayer...rhythms of rest...rhythms of reading the Bible...rhythms of silence...rhythms of running. There is no excuse for not taking my rhythms with me, no excuse for being overtaken by the business of Christian work. It just happened.

I'd like to say that now that I'm home, I can pick right up where I left off. Sadly, it doesn't work that way. Sure, the Lord is gracious and ready to speak to me in prayer, but I have lost my stamina. I can head out to the track, but the miles won't come easily anymore. I'll have lost my capacity to go the distance.

But that doesn't mean I won't start again.

The good news of the Christian life is that we can always start again. And the rhythms will work their way back into my regime, calling me out, taking me further, renewing my strength for the journey.

Until then, I'll be limping along, relearning the basics. I'm not too proud to go back to the beginning, even if it is tempting to put on my good missionary face and act like everything's fine. I'm grateful to be reminded how easy it is to fall away and how difficult it is to start again. Next time, perhaps I'll pack more wisely. Next time, I'll plan to take my rhythms on the road with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS