Wednesday, March 27, 2013

In Weakness

It would have been a difficult conversation in English, there's no doubt about it.

Even if I had been able speak in my mother tongue, I would have spoken slowly. I would have used carefully chosen words, praying with every breath, hoping to say just what needed to be said. I would have used gentle phrasing and deliberate diplomacy to address a tender subject. Even if I had been able to draw upon my English vocabulary and verbal acuity, it would have been a really difficult conversation.

But the conversation was in French. 

As rudimentary words fell from my tongue they rang harshly in my own ears. I sensed the sharpness of my message but had no means with which to soften its blow. I spoke the truth, but I wondered if the love was lost in translation.

Tears fell down as her defenses came up. She gave no indication of understanding. Was I doing more harm than good? Was I the wrong person to be doing this? Would it have been better to ignore the problem?

Ministry is messy. And sometimes I hate it. Most times I feel inadequate. At all times Jesus is faithful.

Somewhere, somehow, my clumsy words eventually rang true. By God's grace (and despite my ineptness) repentance, forgiveness, and redemption were found. To him be all the glory!

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to SDG!! I can't imagine having to witness in another language. Even in English, I feel like my words are broken. I thank God with you that He can redeem our most feeble attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the LORD! He is so good to work through us.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Soli Deo Gloria. And such a powerful message you spoke to my heart through these words. As Jen said, "Even in English, I feel like my words are broken." That is how mine often feel. I am so thankful that you saw the fruit of what was so deep upon your heart for this person. Praising Him this day.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen and Linda, I'm glad I found SDG!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS