Friday, September 6, 2013

Thirsty

Red-faced and panting, I stumble through the front door. I want water!

Hot coffee awaits, but I'll have none of it. Breakfast beckons, but it won't suffice. No, only one thing quenches my thirst after a good run: Water.

As I turn on the tap to fill my glass, a verse springs to mind.


As the deer pants for streams of water,

    so my soul pants for you, my God.
2 
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
    When can I go and meet with God?


Does my soul truly thirst for God like my body thirsts for water? Will I reject all other offerings until I am satisfied by his love? Do I seek him with urgency? Expectancy? Desperation? Do I drink deeply from his well?

Or do I partake sparingly, with casual interest, just because I know I should?

Father, make me eager to be with you, to learn from you, to know you. Make me aware of my deep need for your living waters, so that I will seek you in earnest. Nothing else can satisfy.

Five Minute Friday
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. I'm a runner, too, so I totally get this -- only water will satisfy what my body craves. May my soul crave only Jesus, for only He satisfies my every need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful imagery for today's prompt! I'm not a runner so I can't fully understand that thirst, but I am in need of the living water daily! Do visit http://vintagehousewife.org/2013/09/06/five-minute-friday-red/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think of one of my favorite quotes:

    You called, You cried, You shattered my deafness, You sparkled, You blazed, You drove away my blindness, You shed Your fragrance, and I drew in my breath, and I pant for You.

    Augustine

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS