Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Tribute to the Sun

Well, you might get sick of me this week, but I just have so many words running through my head that I simply MUST put them somewhere, and as I am working so hard to UN-clutter my house, I guess my extra words will have to live here, on my blog. Where they won't gather dust.

Yesterday was the occasion of a Jewish celebration that happens once every 28 years--a day that celebrates the sun. Apparently, yesterday the sun was in the exact point in the sky that it would have been on the day it was created. I don't know how people figure that stuff out, but someone, somewhere, seems to know where God put the sun the day He made it, and then calculated that every 28 years, for one day, it returns to that spot. Sort of like salmon going to spawn, I guess. Anyways, the article I read clearly stated that the Jews were NOT worshipping the sun; rather, they were worshipping God as the creator. Whew! Because even I--a devout monotheist--get tempted to worship the sun this time of year.

Are you northwesterners as happy to see the sun as I? It makes me want to sing. Tra-la-la-la-la-la! I feel revived! Motivated! Hopeful! And no longer homicidal.

"Homicidal?" you ask.

Yes, I have come close to killing the man I love. It would be a mercy-killing. Mostly. You see, Dear David is going on his eleventh straight week of ranging between under-the-weather and deathly-sick. I (the one who has not ONE ounce of compassion in my soul) feel like the real victim of his endless illness. He doesn't whine or complain, he just hasn't been quite his congenial self. And I need my playmate to be fit for all the fun I have planned in life. Anyways, he is now on his THIRD round of antibiotics, and with the sun shining and all, I can actually envision him getting well. And then, of course, I won't have to kill him.

Yesterday I took a walk without wearing a coat. Such joy! Chandler came along on his bike and talked to me about all sorts of interesting things, like which planets are hot and which ones are cold, and whether the moon is hotter or colder than the earth, and why. You know, kid's stuff. Maybe next time I'll ask him to explain that 28-year cycle of the sun.

And how many of you find yourselves walking in your neighborhood in the springtime and realizing you wouldn't recognize your own neighbor if you passed him on the street--because he's been hibernating since October and so have you. Suddenly everyone is out and about, pasty white and squinting, waving in every direction while secretly thinking, "Who the heck was that?"

Most exciting to me, though, are the green shoots of daffodils and tulips busting through the soil to salute the sun! These are the picture of faith:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

I do not see the flowers yet, but when those shoots rise out of earth that has been frozen and covered in snow for months on end, I am SURE that Spring is coming and CERTAIN that I will see an orchestra of colors singing in my flower beds within weeks. Can I get a witness?

And if I am this overjoyed to see the sun today, I can't imagine what I will feel when I get to heaven, and the SON will replace the sun. Jesus will be all the light and warmth we need, forever. And we all will be SON-worshippers! And I'm sure I'll recognize my neighbors who are there--never to hibernate again. WOO HOO!!!!!

The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. Revelation 21:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS